The following movies are contemporary classics, all of which are available on Netflix.
If you are a beginner or low-intermediate student of Spanish, you should probably watch them with subtitles first and then watch them again without subtitles. If you are a high-intermediate or advanced student of Spanish then you should watch them twice each without subtitles.
– Maria Full of Grace. (a smart, independent young woman smuggles heroine into the US in order to have a shot at a better life)
– Butterfly. (a touching picture about a boy and an old mentor of sorts)
– Elsa and Fred. (a funny movie about an 82-year-old widow who finds love again)
– Stranded: I’ve Come from a Plane. (a documentary about surviving a plane crash in The Andes)
– Volver. (Directed by Almodovar and starring Penelope Cruz, need I say more?)
– The Violin. (Traveling musicians and freedom-fighting rebels!)
Movies are truly a great way to enhance your exposure to Spanish but they require patience and, as mentioned above, repeated viewings can only help. Enjoy!