Bilinguals Can Pay Attention Better
In an article just published by Robert Lee Hotz in the Wall Street Journal (link below), diverse findings are shared that prove more benefits for speaking an additional language. I will highlight the five main points:
1. Speaking more than one language might change the physical structure of the brain in a favorable way.
2. Bilingual speakers can hear sounds that monolingual speakers simply cannot hear.
3. Bilinguals have a ‘stronger’ brain, one that is better prepared to fight the ravages of old age.
4. The more languages, the better: Trilinguals have proven to have even stronger brains than bilinguals.
5. Bilinguals are better at multitasking and setting priorities.
I’m happy to share this convincing and positive evidence with my fellow language learners out there.